As part of Just4Keepers CIs strive to promote goalkeeping in the Channel Islands, we are spending 5 mins with various goalkeepers – past & present, to give us there thoughts on all things goalkeeping. We hope you enjoy and should you wish to be part of this Q&A email Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This month we hear from Eliot De Sousa – Current goalkeeper for Grouville 1st Team. Previously played Senior and u18s for First Tower and through various junior age groups. He is also working towards his GK coaching badges.
1. How old were you when you started playing in goal and what was your first team?
7-8 School Team & St Brelade’s Juniors (I think)
2. At what age did you first receive specialist GK coaching? And do you believe this is important for young goalkeepers?
14yo and yes, help give GKs more confidence, how to dive properly and protect themselves.
3. What teams have you played for during your career?
St Martin’s U14, Rozel U16 & U18, First Tower U18 & 1st Team & Reserves, Stockport Georgians Reserves (UK) & Grouville 1st Team, Reserves & C Team.
4. Who was your favourite GK growing up and why?
Had a Few, Taffarel, Michel Preud’homme, Canizares, Pagliuca, but has to be Peter Schmeichel, as a Man Utd Fan growing up in the 90’s no one was better in my opinion. His Record and Performances speak for themselves.
5. What is your most memorable moment from your career?
Has to be at Rozel U16’s beating St Pauls in the Quarter Final of the Cup 2-1. Was the only game they lost all season and we went on to Win in the Final too. Had one of my strongest games, and lost my voice by the end. No saves standout from that game, just solid.
6. What advice would you offer to any young GKs from the Channel Islands?
Be Confident in your ability, Get good gloves! Be Vocal, Listen, Concentrate, Commit & learn to laugh at yourself when you make errors, and learn from them. Enjoy it!