What’s the best way to look after your Goalkeeping Gloves and Why?
Below are a few tips on maintaining your goalkeeping gloves:
1.Keep a pair of gloves for games only. Warm up in a second pair of gloves putting you match gloves on just before kickoff during games we want our “Match Gloves” to perform at there best and not let us down so by minimising their use they last longer at their best.
2. Buy mid range gloves for training these gloves are harder wearing and as we tend to train more than play matches these gloves get a lot of ‘Hammer’ by more use. Using the mid range gloves you can save money as Match Gloves are more expensive.
3. Keep your gloves clean ,wash in luke warm water only, after every time you wear them muddied gloves won’t help you catch the ball as clean gloves will.
4. Keep your gloves damp,when the grip is allowed to dry out they becomes brittle and start to break down the glove palm material. Most gloves now come in a pouch this is not just fancy packaging it is to keep your gloves in when not in use it will also keep them damp after washing ready for you next training session or game.
5. Keep a water bottle (with water in , not still or fizzy drink) in your glove bag . Because if your gloves are drying out just wet them again with your water and have a drink yourself.
6. Keep a small towel in your glove bag ,not only can dry gloves be a problem but overly wet ones can be as well .Carry a towel so you can wipe your gloves to keep them damp and clean but not too wet.
There is no hard and fast way to look after your gloves because we are all individuals and we have our own ideas whats best for us personally on gloves maintenance, but the advice above is only a guide to what I have been using for many years and it seems to work for me.